Many thanks to all the wonderful members of Christ Our Hope for making Vacation Bible School such a blessing to the children, their parents, and this pastor! Here are the Seven Joys I rediscovered this past week:
- Having 5 opportunities, 5 days IN A ROW to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ in stories, songs, games, crafts, skits, and conversations with so many wonderful kids! This kind of quality time with people is hard to come by these days.
- Having dear Christians (the children) who are genuinely EXCITED to hear how much God loves them – again and again and again! This kind of enthusiasm is a rare treat.
- Having dear Christians (the children) who are unafraid to let you know when they don’t get it, don’t like it, or can’t take it any more! This kind of honesty is such a welcome relief.
- Watching dear Christians (the congregational members) lovingly and patiently model Christ’s love, even as they teach it! This sanctification in action is a thing of true beauty to behold
- Seeing the whole thing once again through the eyes of a child (my own two now!) Not just thinking I have to get through this, but I want to be IN this – AT this!
- Being given permission one week each year to play and be a little crazy while at work! Like I needed permission for this.
- Cookies and juice. Obviously.
If you have been involved in a VBS (parent, teacher, helper, student), what would you add to the list?